- October 2009
- Vol. 10, No. 8
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Cultural Competence
Spotlight on Cultural Competence
This month, CBX rounds up some of the newest information on cultural competence, including examples of programs and strategies from across the country, as well as resources from the T&TA Network that can help you evaluate and implement culturally competent practices.
- Cultural and Linguistic Competency in the Child Welfare System: State Strategies
Cultural and linguistic competency is an essential guiding principle to support the needs of families involved in child welfare systems, because children of color continue to be overrepresented in...
- Evidence-Based Practice in American Indian Communities
Organizations serving children and youth are encouraged to incorporate evidence-based practices into their work, but research shows that services are more effective when they are tailored to the...
- The Journey of Cultural Awareness
Cultural competence was the theme of one of last year's issues of FOCUS, the quarterly newsletter of the Foster Family-Based Treatment Association (FFTA). A dozen articles explored ways to build...
- T&TA Network Resources on Cultural Competence
The Children's Bureau Training and Technical Assistance (T&TA) Network offers a number of resources on cultural competence, most of which are available through the members' websites. In addition,...
- Resources for Working With Immigrant Youth and Families
Bridging Refugee Youth and Children's Services (BRYCS) recently revised its toolkit for service providers who work with immigrant youth. In Growing Up in a New Country: A Positive Youth...
- Direct Service and Organizational Cultural Competence Strategies
A recent study examined how mental health services organizations provide culturally competent services for racially and ethnically diverse children and families. The findings may be useful for...
- Training in Cultural Competency and Domestic Violence
An online course on cultural competency is now available for social service professionals who work with victims of domestic violence. The course aims to help professionals master culturally...